079200 – JOINT SEALANTS – A SpecLink-E Spec Guide
This guide can be used several ways:
- For reference by SpecLink-E users during development of project specifications.
- As an AIA CES approved course (not yet registered).
- As a continuing education course for non-AIA members (exam modules not yet complete).
This specification guide covers "gunnable" and "self-leveling" joint sealants intended for sealing joints between adjacent, in-place building materials. Content includes selection of appropriate products, estimation of joint movement, and effective specifying for projects. Among the applications covered are:
- General purpose sealants for exterior and interior use.
- Interior wet area sealants.
- Paving and floor joint sealants.
- Concrete slab control joint fillers.
- Acoustical sealants for stud wall construction.
- Sealants for special exposures, such as continuous liquid immersion, chemicals, solvents, etc.
- Tamperproof sealants.
Products and Applications Not Covered:
- Preformed gaskets (079100).
- Preformed compressible foam sealers (079100).
- Preformed strip sealers (079100).
- Sealants used as adhesives.
- Sealants used to install glazing (088000).
- Structural glazing adhesive (084313 and 084413).
- Firestopping sealants (078400).
- Sealants used to join sections of roofing and waterproofing membranes.
- Manufactured expansion joint covers (079500).
- Hot-applied pavement sealants.