Design-Bid-Build Contracting Documents
"Design-Bid-Build" is short-hand for a contractual relationship in which an Owner first contracts with a Design Professional to design a project and, once the design is complete, contracts with another entity, usually referred to as a Contractor, to build it.
This project delivery method usually requires an Agreement and Conditions of the Contract as part of the Contract Documents. Standard forms of these documents are available for purchase from several industry organizations. Many of these documents are no longer available in paper.
American Institute of Architects (AIA) Contract Documents, www.aia.org
AIA documents are oriented to architects as the prime design professional. The most commonly used documents for design-bid-build are:
- AIA A101 - Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor were the basis of payment is a Stipulated Sum
- AIA A111 - Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor were the basis of payment is the Cost of the Work Plus a Fee, With a Negotiated Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP)
- AIA A201 - General Conditions of the Contract for Construction
- AIA G612 - Owner's Instructions to the Architect Regarding the Construction Contract (Free Copy: http://www.aia.org/contractdocs/referencematerial/aiab098216)
Where to Buy: www.aia.org/contractdocs/index.htm.
Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee (EJCDC), www.ejcdc.org.
EJCDC documents are oriented to consulting engineers as the prime design professional. The most commonly used documents for design-bid-build are:
- EJCDC C-520 - Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor; Stipulated Price
- EJCDC C-700 - Standard General Conditions of the Construction Contract
Where to Buy: www.ejcdc.org.
ConsensusDocs documents are prepared by a large consortium of construction industry associations, led by the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC). The most commonly used documents for design-bid-build are:
- 200 - Agreement and General Conditions Between Owner and Constructor (Lump Sum Price)
- 500 - Agreement and General Conditions Between Owner and Construction Manager (Where the CM is At-Risk)
Where to Buy: www.consensusdocs.org.